Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Checkmate

                                                         
                                                        Image Credit: pcwallart.com


While hockey players are often viewed as toothless Neanderthals, the thought process that is in motion when players are on the ice is incredible. Hockey is known as a game that is made up of thousands of split-second decisions during every game. For example, hockey players have to make many more decisions during one shift on the ice than chess players make in an entire match. It is not only about skating down the ice, avoiding other players, and trying to score. It is about which way to turn to avoid the player, where to move the puck, when to stop, and when to pass.

According to the article "Keys to Great Hockey Sense," by Kim McCullough, the intelligence that players use is known as spatial intelligence. Spatial intelligence is the ability to know what is going on at a given time and anticipate what is going to happen next. In a sense, hockey players are always trying to look ahead to the future to make sure they are in the right position for whatever happens next. Also, it is not only one player that you have to anticipate, it is the whole team. A great hockey player must plan what they are going to do with the puck even before they have it on their stick. Overall, the sport is a contest of two teams pitting their players' spatial intelligences against one another; which seems a lot more intricate than two guys punching each other in the face and trying to get a rubber disc in the back of a net.

2 comments:

  1. I learned to ice skate when I was 3 years old, started roller hockey at the age of 4, and ice hockey at the age of 5. My dad plays, brother plays at a small D1 school, cousins play, and even one of my uncles played. Needless to say I grew up in a hockey family. I've played my entire life and continue to play men's league hockey at the Icebox. I'm looking forward to your blog! There aren't too many hockey fans out here in Indiana.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! It's good having another hockey player in the class. I've been a hockey fan for a long time but I started skating when I was 24 (about two years ago), so you have some experience on me. It's one of the best things I've picked-up for sure.

      Delete